Saturday, February 9, 2008

Is this a PG-rated blog?

I texted my brother and his kids last night while I was sitting in front of Outback Steakhouse. I was waiting for my beautiful bride to arrive, so we could pull up a wonderful table (for two ... woo-hoo!) and we would chow down on some quasi-authentic Australian cuisine.

I was messaging my family to clue them in on this blog. (Which by the way has moved to a new URL of http://chipsup.blogspot.com/ ... reflects my generally upbeat disposition and the fact that I'm usually up way too late in the evenings/mornings on my computer.)

I love texting them when I think about it ... just a quick note ... a connection point in our harried lives. Yes, I could call them, but a text message is a broadcast ... I can get out a message to many with a single blow. Efficiency or laziness? I like to consider it efficient. Not to mention ... it's something they can read on their time, and respond when they can. I like that ... non-intrusive. Like blogs and email.

Anyhoo ... it hit me that I hadn't emailed my parents to let them know I was now blogging socially (versus blogging with a cause, like we did when Dad had his fall.) Do I dare fill them in? Would letting them read my blog reveal any new discoveries about their son ... shattering any pre-conceived notions about their "baby?"

(Sidenote: There's a running tradition that I'm the "baby who ..." and you just fill in the blank with whatever is going on in my life at the time ... so I'm the "baby who went off to college" ... the "baby who went to work for Coca-Cola" ... the "baby who got married" and so on and so on.) It's just a subtle reminder that I'm the baby of the family. As if I'd forget that notion.

So with that, I scanned my previous posts. But why? Would I actually be writing ... committing to Internet perpetuity ... anything that I would be ashamed of? I don't think so. I think I've said the word "fart" in front of them before, and I didn't end up eating the Ivory.

And then it hit me ... would I write anything that God would be ashamed of? Well I certainly hope not! I mean ... come on ... if anybody knows exactly what's on the Internet ... HE does. And I'll bet that His stance on it is the same as it is with everything in the world. Some of it pleases Him, and some of it doesn't. I hope that He at least grins every once and a while with mine.

So with that, I am extending an invitation to Mom and Dad later today to join in the studio audience. I hope that what they read makes them smile, as is the case with all of you. I hope they get a sense of the wonderful support group of friends and family that I have when reading your comments (keep them clean now).

I can attribute 99.8% of who I am to their influence. I find myself a perfect combination of the two. I love to tell stories like my Dad. I worry like my Mom. I love to sing like my Dad. I have a heart for others like my Mom. But above all, they taught me the importance of living a life with God in the midst of it all. And I truly thank them and love them for that.

Now the question is ... do I tell Veda what my blog URL is? =8^]

4 comments:

carolineb said...

I bet your rents already know about your wacky side. Which one did you get THAT from?

moilwax
Best word veri ever.

AmyFritch said...

Chip! I was so glad to hear you on my blog!! This is my outlet to keep up regularly with our Marietta family. Love your wit. I'm a sporadic blogger at best. Give Veda my love! I understand BABS is coming soon.......

AmyFritch said...

just read all the rest of your posts. You are funny. Funny rates really high on my value scale. And you post a lot. very good, Chip. Very good.

Chip B said...

BABs always seems to be coming soon! It's perpetual! Love seeing the boys ... they are growing so much. And that kitchen! I am attempting not to covet, but oh well. Covet happens.