Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Still Here, Stayin' Alive

Every now and then, you're reminded of something from your past. Something happens in the mundane day-to-day activities of our lives that jars our my aging memory, and makes us me think of something long forgotten.

Let's take a blog for instance.

[Look of horror.]

Wow ... my last entry was May of 2011.  "On behalf of myself, I'd like to accept this Lame Award ..."

OK ... let's put this back on all of us.  You neglect things, right?  It's not just me.

So, collective "we" ... when these events happen that reveal something that we've lost or forgotten, we find ourselves at a crossroad and we have a choice to make.  We ask ourselves, "Do I do something about it?  Change the course?  Acknowledge and embrace my forgetfulness/laziness and get cracking, or do I turn away and pretend I never saw it?"

I'm going to take the road less traveled today.  I'm going to write a post.  And that will make all the difference.  So there.  (Thanks to Ms. Norma Rae in middle school for making me memorize "The Road Not Taken."  I remember!  And remembering things is very important for someone my our age.)  Let's continue.

We decide to do something.  We're going to write.  Fine and dandy, but then you hit the wall.  The absence of thought.  The oblivion of nothing in the head.  The dry well ... empty of anything fun and snarky to talk about.

[Pause]

I could talk about a roasted turkey sandwich, because that's what is in my immediate future.

[Yawn]

Politics?  Certainly not a sleeper topic these days.  But I'll withhold my thoughts for a while perhaps.  Let's see if anybody reads my blog and decides I'm harassing them.  The boring and the prudish.  The ones who don't like to laugh.  The ones who prefer to read the Wall Street Journal or Moby Dick.  I won't feel guilty about taking up your precious time if I end up having to suspend my blog.  (But I'll continue accepting donations, thank you very much.)

[Think, think, think.]

A-ha ... I have something.  My love for Charlie Brown's Christmas.  It's one of the remaining vestiges of Christmas untouched.  Nobody has come in and edited Linus' child-like telling of the birth of our Savior to make it acceptable to all.  And it's still being played on national television.  Fancy that.

Not to mention ... who doesn't love Vince Guaraldi?  (Yes, I had to Google it so I'd spell it right.  Sheesh, the man's Italian.  I'm Southern.  Two different things.)

"Linus and Lucy" is one of my favorite tunes.  Not actually related to Christmas at all, but it's on the soundtrack.  Makes my head lop back and forth, like the kid in the front right of the dancing scene in the show.  I think I can do the dance of about three of them with some recognizable skill.  I know ... hidden talents.  We all have them.  This is so much better than disco.

One talent I do not possess is the gift of brevity when I speak or write.  As some of you can attest, I could actually go on and on with mindless drivel about this and that.  But perhaps if I'm smart, I can make something out of it for next year's annual blog post.

Besides ... I'm done with my sandwich.

Merry Christmas!  God Bless us all ... everyone!
Luke 2:10

1 comment:

Mom said...

i AM ABOUT TO GET OUT MY LITTLE CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS TREE, WRAP THE LITTLE BLANKET AROUND THE BASE OF IT, AND WE WILL BE PRETTY WELL DONE WITH CHRISTMAS DECORATING -- AT LEAST THE PART I LIKE THE MOST. I LOVE THAT LITTLE TREE AND ALL IT REPRESENTS!