Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Personal Back Patting

I've lost 12 pounds since July 18th.  On purpose, yah.

When I was a kid ... I was skinny.  Really skinny.  Nickname:  Bird Legs.  (I think that's still being used in some parts of the globe.)  I can remember the 28" waist.  Always had to find "slim" jeans.  That chore is now relegated to my 12-year-old.  Bless her genetics.

Well, while you'd never really think it for those of you who know me and have seen my legs ... I was growing technically overweight according to the BMI calculators, even at 185 lbs. (for a 5'11" man.)  Now that I'm down to 173, I'm right under the mark.

I do feel better.  Was it the two Cokes a day?  C'mon, gimme a break ... remember where I work for cryin out loud.  It was my coffee in the morning and my pick-me-up in the afternoon.

Was it visits to the vending machine?  I haven't seen the inside of a Snickers wrapper in a long time.  Or a good bag of pork rinds.  Turkey Creek BBQ Pork Rinds.  Why do I know that?

I'm sure it's a combo of many things.  I'm learning to like broccoli (particularly steamed or grilled with some kick to it). I'm enjoying walking the neighborhood a couple of times a week with my wife for a couple of miles.

Since I have a fairly sedentary desk job, I walk all the way across the office campus to go to the bathroom.  In a totally different building.  Through another building.  Hey ... it gets me moving.  And keeps me awake to boot.

Today, my 36" waist pants were looking a little pitiful, somewhat bunched up under my belt.  I actually saw my belt buckle without seriously sucking it all in.  Can it be?  Is all this hype about good eating and exercise for real?  Sheesh!

I hope to touch my toes one day.  But I think that's a stretching issue.  Ergo, long Bird Legs must get more flexible.  Dang it.

My goal is 170 lbs.  I've been holding at 173 now for some time.  And I'm OK with that.  If I make it to 170, I'm going to celebrate with a Coke and a Krispy Kreme.  Booyah!

Then someone will have to scrape me from the ceiling.

1 comment:

maysville said...

You are likely to find, that after months of eating healthy, that celebratory sugar rush is going to leave you feeling less than wonderful.

It's amazing how quickly the body adapts to high octane fuel. My affinity for chocolate is undiminished, yet i can no longer over indulge without ill effect.

Happy eating...