Sunday, April 6, 2008

Midnight Near the Beach of Gulf Shrimp and Something that Starts with E

OK ... I was trying to make a play on "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil," but the brain just quit in the middle there. Sorry.

It's the evening (now morning) of our first full day at the Moore's house, my wonderful in-laws. We try to visit them every now and then. It doesn't hurt that they are about 15 minutes from the beach, but it's the 7 hours it takes to get to them that makes it an uncommon visit.

The kids are in bed (Leah is reading a book behind me, because I'm using Dad Moore's DSL wire in the room where she's on the pullout sofa ... I'm sure she wants me to go to bed.) The house is quiet. THIS is spring break. Ah, the deafening silence.

We all went to the movies today, and everyone split up. Veda, Trudy and Leah to see Nim's Island. Trudy's boys to Superhero. And I ... I took the movie less frequented by. And it has made all the difference. (Apologies to Robert Frost for maiming his poem.)

I took Amy and Chaz to see Horton Hears a Who.

Now mind you ... I loved Dr. Seuss as a kid, and still enjoy reading his literature. Who wouldn't love The Foot Book? Yeah, yeah, yeah ... green eggs and ham and all that jazz. But there's so much more!

Anyhoo ... let me just say this ... movies can get the best of me. And apparently, good animated ones can, too. It hit me weird today, though. Why the heck was I choking up in the middle of Horton Hears a Who, for crying out loud?

It's the nature of the human spirit ... the willingness of everyone to want to survive. OMG ... I really did like this silly movie. I held myself together, but man, it was tough. I guess it's the fact that I really GET into the movie and connect with the characters, even if they are a goofy elephant or the mayor of Whoville.

Amy laughed as much as I did. Chaz was like Veda ... pretty quiet ... not much laughing out loud. Even when it was gut-busting funny. Weird. He was more interested in why we didn't have popcorn (we had just come from lunch) or why there were lights on the steps in the aisle.

So ... thumbs up for the movie. And if you don't get choked up ... then you must have a heart that's two sizes too small ... that's all.

5 comments:

Laura Kirkland said...

I like your blog and I want to go see this.
You are so descriptive and witty..

Writeaway said...

Amen to Laura!

Now I want to go see that animated movie... and I have no young children. Maybe I should borrow one of yours?

Chip B said...

Careful ... we've been known to lend them out.

AtlantaMama said...

Oo I want to see it too. I don't knock these. The times I have seen/heard my Father laugh out loud the most... it was a witty animated movie!! Those folks know what they are doing!
(Although, when I ask Jack B about Horton, he said there was a bad bird?! Something from a 3 yr old?! Not sure!)

Chip B said...

Jack B has it right ... there is a bad bird, and a bad kangaroo. But I won't spoil it!